We all know that I am obsessed with my dog. What better way to honor the baby Luke than to dedicate a whole blog post about homemade dog treats to him and all of his doggie friends around the globe! This treat recipe contains chicken liver so make sure that your dog is not allergic to liver. Luke absolutely adores these doggie treats. He probably thinks of them as the best thing since sliced… steak? Can’t you see it in his eyes?
I’ve always wanted to make homemade dog treats and I’m so happy that I could finally bake up some liver goodness and share it with my honey bee’s! I will warn you, this isn’t very pleasant to make, as you have to puree raw chicken liver, but I promise your doggie will love you for it. And isn’t that what’s most important? Here is my recipe for homemade chicken liver dog treats:
- 2½ cups of rye flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of chicken livers
- 3 tbsp of canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Dust the baking sheet with rye flour.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse for about 1 minute, or until the dough forms a ball shape.
- Remove from the food processor and knead briefly into a well-formed dough ball.
- Transfer directly to the baking sheet.
- Flatten the ball and shape it carefully into a square.
- Lightly dust the top of the dough with extra rye flour and roll with a rolling pin into a 10 inch square.
- Cut the dough with a pizza cutter into 1 inch squares. If you want to get creative, you can use a dog bone cookie cutter to create the cookie shapes.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes for softer cookies and 40-45 minutes for crispier cookies.
- Remove your homemade dog treats from the oven and let them cool in the baking sheet.
- Once cool, break them apart on the cut lines.
I hope your fur baby loves these cookies as much as mine does! I would love to hear how your cookies came out and if you’ve ever made any other types of homemade dog cookies. Please share in the comments!